by Jeff Fisher
Arizona High School Football Huddle
Heading into the 2009 season, two Arizona teams, Saguaro and Centennial, are riding some of the longest active win streaks in high school football. Saguaro has won 33 straight, which is the record for a 4A school, but is well short of the all-time Arizona record that is held by Lakeside Blue Ridge, which won 63 straight between 1994-1998. Centennial is on a 26 game win streak.
Both schools have a lot in common, both are going after their fourth straight state titles and both have gone 41-1 during their three-year championship runs.
Click here to check-out team records from the Arizona Interscholastic Association.
Meanwhile, with South Panola (MS) and Maryville (TN) losing on back-to-back days last December, Smith Center of Kansas owns the nation's longest active high school football win streak. South Panola's streak, which is the third longest all-time in high school football ended at 89, while Maryville ended at 74.
After plenty of research, here is the most accurate active win streak list I could come-up with...if I missed a team, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
1. Smith Center (KS) - 67 straight wins
2. Wayne Hills (NJ) - 52 straight wins
3. Plymouth (NH) - 44 straight wins
4. Timpview (UT) - 36 straight wins
5. Saguaro (AZ) - 33 straight wins
6. Lake Travis (TX) - 30 straight wins
7. Soldotna (AK) - 29 straight wins
8. Skyline (WA) - 28 straight wins
8. River Hill (MD) - 28 straight wins
10. Jupiter Christian (FL) 27 straight wins
10. Solon (IA) - 27 straight wins
12. Centennial (AZ) - 26 straight wins